Friday, December 27, 2013

Baby on My Mind

With the birth of Chris and Vineeta's baby being imminent, I have been thinking about the baby quilts I've made in the last several months. I really enjoy making quilts for the little ones. I can be creative on a little bit smaller scale than a regular quilt.

I made this quilt for a colleague at work who had a baby during the summer.

I started by using by Accucut machine to cut "tumblers" out of a bunch of fat quarters from a Connecting Threads collection called Laundry Basket. It had lots of bright, but fairly neutral color, since I didn't know if the baby was going to be a boy or a girl. After arranging rows of tumblers on my design wall to distribute the colors, I sewed them all together, added borders, quilted and put on the binding.


I thought it would be fun to pick up on some of the little birds that were on the fabric and add a few as applique on the quilt top. I added three little birds, sitting on branches, scattered on the quilt top.

1 comment: